Small issue with CICS

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

Small issue with CICS

Postby jdsp » Sun 20 May 2012, 09:27

Hi Prino,

Thank you very much for starting CICS. I am happily working on it. :D

However, I am facing one small issue. My transactions are working fine for the first time. But, from the second time on wards, junk data is getting passed to the screen while sending the map and PROG753 is getting displayed in the status bar. I tried by initializing all the map variables and other variables used in my program, but to no avail. Then I googled on the issue and came up with a possible cause.

Type CLER on the CICS screen and press PF5 and then keep pressing PF8 until you see the STORAGE parameter on the Runtime OPTIONS column. Refer below screenprint:

CLER PAGE 4 OF 5

Language Environment Region Level Runtime Options.

Current Settings

LAST WHERE SET OPTIONS
-------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
Installation default PRTUNIT(6)
Installation default PUNUNIT(7)
Installation default RDRUNIT(5)
Installation default RECPAD(OFF)
Installation default RPTOPTS(OFF)
CICS CLER Trans RPTSTG(OFF)
Installation default NORTEREUS
Installation default NOSIMVRD
Installation default STACK(4096,4080,ANYWHERE,KEEP,4096,4080)
Installation default STORAGE(NONE,NONE,NONE,0)
Installation default TERMTHDACT(TRACE,CESE,96)
Installation default NOTEST(ALL,"*","PROMPT","INSPPREF")

PF: 1=Help 3=Quit 7=Back 8=Forward 10=RPT->CES

The STORAGE parameter for CICS with COBOL programs needs to be STORAGE=(00,NONE,NONE,0K) for the program to flush all junk data. Further investigation revealed that a job to update the runtime options for COBOL and LE for CICS can be found in library CEE.SCEESAMP. The options source itself is member CEECOPT, and the job to update it is in CEEWCOPT. I do not have the authorization to edit or submit these jobs. Do we need to submit this job(after making the necessary changes, of course)? Or, can this be taken care of during the next planned startup of CICS? Or, can other methods be used(Please refer http://cicswiki.org/cicswiki1/index.php?title=How_do_I_set_or_change_LE_runtime_options%3F)? Or, is there a simple solution for this problem?

Can you please spend some of your expertise on this issue and suggest a solution? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Prabakaran(Mainframe userid: JDSP).
jdsp

Re: Small issue with CICS

Postby prino » Sun 20 May 2012, 13:28

There is a very simple solution: Any left-over junk is your problem and you will have to change your program to initialize what needs to be initialized! Relying on the operating system to clean out your left over rubbish is wrong, wrong, wrong!

In short, STORAGE(NONE,NONE,NONE,0), the IBM default will not be changed!
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby monitor » Sun 20 May 2012, 14:34

The most common mistake for new programmers is forgetting to move Low-Value to the output map structure before filling the map variables with data.
This might look as follows:
Code: Select all
Send-The-Map.
    Move Low-Value to MymapO
    Move Whatever to Field1O
    . . .
    Exec CICS Send
         Map('MYMAP')
         Mapset('MYMAPSET')
         Erase
         Freekb
    End-Exec
    Perform Return-to-CICS-with-Commarea

monitor

Postby sysadmin » Sun 20 May 2012, 18:22

I believe that a set of data values from x'00' thru x'1F' are 327x control unit commands. If your data stream, that is the field data (not attribute indicators, etc.) contains a value (from above) reserved for control unit commands, a 753 / 755 Prog error will be recognized by the control unit and displayed upon the screen. So even though you may have initialized the DSECT to low-values you may have moved data containing garbage in to the output data fields of your map. For instance, the 49 level of a varchar saql field instead of the COBOL sql field itself.
sysadmin

Postby jdsp » Mon 21 May 2012, 05:19

Hi Prino, Sysadmin & monitor,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I will implement your solutions in my program. :D Thanks again.

Regards,
Prabakaran(Mainframe userid: JDSP).
jdsp

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe