TO ALL

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

TO ALL

Postby Sanku » Sun 18 Mar 2012, 03:28

Hi All,

While going through some of the posts, well I found several posts which are not at all required. Some of them like first some question is asked and then a hash reply and ends up with a threat bashing the fellow as rookie or fresher and at last with a threat of deleting IDs. Well I still like to believe this platform is about sharing knowledge not pointing each other on that they know and others don't. I might be little bit on the face but I still believe there is no one who knows everything on Mainframe that's why we are here to learn. So, let us learn.

I do understand the pain points of both sides. It a platform which is run by people who wants help and for those people who wants to know. Couple of points I need mention here,

1. Even though for any experience guy it is not necessary that they know every details of the system. Working guys unless until a architect or a designer never allows to know the complete system in professional environment as most of the people work on financial domain which is very sensitive and do have actual impact on real life. So, It will be much more appreciated if the general informations (like naming conventions, Table space details etc.) are shared in a locked post which can be easily accessed by the users. Example: Rules while posting.

2. As the complete system is run and maintained by a small number of people we need to show our patience. Please, do not write every day a new post if post covering the same topic is already there.

End of the day we are here to learn not to fight. Be respectful.

Thanks !! for reading the post. Ending my post with a optimistic node that administrator will take necessary steps to address this concerns.

Thanks Again.

Sankalpa Chatterjee.
Sanku

Re: TO ALL

Postby prino » Sun 18 Mar 2012, 09:37

FanDeZhi is a system to give experienced z/OS users a platform to experiment and try things that they cannot do at work, or to keep up their skills when they are (temporarily) out of work, yet most of the users seem to be newbies dumped onto the system by (outsource) companies in India, the Philippines and other low-wage countries, and unscrupulous "training" companies in the same, and this despite that fact that the system makes it very clear with the first message after a TSO user logs on that this practice is absolutely not allowed.

The result, especially at the time when the system was even more open than it is now, were pretty disastrous, witch idiots (there is no other word) trying out MVS commands they were not supposed to touch! The situation right now is again moving the same way, people who apply for 25 userids (to sell them on to newbies), newbies who leave the output of dozens of jobs in the spool, sometimes many of them that are S722's (i.e. abends because of excessive output), newbies who have looping jobs (one earlier this week: 42,000+ seconds of CPU), newbies who allocate datasets with sizes that only make sense in Fortune 500 companies, newbies who delete their "*ALIAS", because they don't know the purpose it serves.

FanDeZhi (the z/OS) side is in essence run by one single person, in the little spare time he has, with some help of a number of people who have various levels of (somewhat) elevated privileges. As for the forum, there are a few active members, and it seems to move along pretty smoothly, and other than deleting the occasional duplicate post, locking old posts, deleting inactive members (only without any postings) and kicking out the occasional spammer, it doesn't require a great deal of time.

As for being harsh on newbies, again FanDeZhi is not meant for them. If they want to have a normal career in IT, they will need to join companies and training institutes that provide proper training, rather than dump users onto a system and let them screw up without any oversight, to read manuals, and to use Google and join forums that are set up for them, like IBM MAINFRAME FORUM - A Help & Support Forum for Mainframe Beginners and Students, which is in the FAQ that some/many/most of them can't be bothered to read.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby Sanku » Sun 18 Mar 2012, 15:13

Let us not again enter in a war room. I am not saying all your concerns do not have any basic but it raise couple of basic questions which are no where connected with learning mainframe.

The aim of my post was to motivate every one on learning the system not on fighting. I can understand about the hazards about all new comers well one thing we must accept we have to live with this. So, it is better we help each other.

If we are actually looking for preventing new comers and people from specified locations [ isolating people depending on geographical boundaries ] I am not sure how to do that.

Prino,

I believe you are working on mainframes more than 20 years. Do you think it is fare to expect same kind of expertise from every one.
Please, help all of us with your experience to learn.
If you grab sometime please, write a post on do's and don'ts.

All of these are just a suggestion from a common user.

Thanks !! for reading.

Sankalpa Chatterjee.
Sanku

Postby steve-myers » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 05:41

• Fandezhi is a full z/OS system. It is not a toy system that can be restarted when something does not seem right, as is true of Windows and similar systems. This is true of both the system and shared components of the system such as CICS.
  • Fandezhi is shared with a number of other users. You have no right or privilege to interfere with their use of the system.
  • If you are not authorized to use a resource, there is no point in repeatedly trying to use the resource. There is no point to do this 65 times, as happened with one user Mar 12. Once is enough!
  • As Prino has mentioned, it seems that
    • Alias entries in the master catalog are disappearing, or some unknown person is attempting to create userids outside of the the standard process, and is not doing this correctly.
    • It is possible some unknown person is deleting the alias entries.
  • You can use RACF (the security manager program for Fandezhi) to limit the ability of other users to access your datasets, but not other datasets.
Fandezhi is much looser than most corporate z/OS systems, but that does mean you can abuse it.
steve-myers

Postby Sanku » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 06:10

Sorry !!!!

I did not got your point.
Sanku

Postby steve-myers » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 06:14

You wanted "do's and don'ts" You got some!
steve-myers

Postby Sanku » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 06:24

Are you the single point of contact for any thing on system priviledge.
Sanku

Postby prino » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 09:02

The single point of contact is sysprog, but asking him for more privileges will most likely result in you being booted off the system, you've been granted what you need, and you're not going to get more, take it or leave it!
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
Some programming here :mrgreen:
prino

Postby steve-myers » Fri 23 Mar 2012, 14:13

Sanku wrote:Are you the single point of contact for any thing on system priviledge.
No, I am not a point of contact for system privileges. Everything I know about Fandezhi is from analyzing publicly available sources, mostly the z/OS SYSLOG. Much of the analysis required substantial programming effort. You, or any Fandezhi user, could do this themselves.
steve-myers

Postby Sanku » Sat 24 Mar 2012, 06:11

prino wrote:The single point of contact is sysprog, but asking him for more privileges will most likely result in you being booted off the system, you've been granted what you need, and you're not going to get more, take it or leave it!

Prino, let me put this question in more generous way. If I ask for some privileges well that's just a asking, Not sure how the answer ends up with "but asking him for more privileges will most likely result in you being booted off the system".
Sanku

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe