RACIF Id LRJOHNS password suspended

This forum provides the support of Dezhi Mainframe systems. Please post your questions about logon, usage of our mainframe environment.

Moderators: sysprog, prino, sfan, steve-myers, Tim001

RACIF Id LRJOHNS password suspended

Postby lrjohns » Mon 26 Mar 2018, 02:30

I've been away for awhile. My TSO Id does not accept my password. I've tried many times, I do not get a suspended message, etc.

Your help/advice is much appreciated.

Lee Johns
e-mail deleted
lrjohns

Re: RACIF Id LRJOHNS password suspended

Postby steve-myers » Mon 26 Mar 2018, 03:59

See the new userids and password reset topic. You need a new password.

We do not "suspend" passwords, though they time out, usually after 180 days, not quite 6 months.

When does (or did) your password time out? Do a TSO LU command for your userid. You can execute this RACF command safely. The second line is

DEFAULT-GROUP=USERG02 PASSDATE=17.240 PASS-INTERVAL=180

PASSDATE is when the password was last updated. PASS-INTERVAL is how many days the password can be used until it times out. So 240+180=420. Now 420 is more than the days in a year, so 420-365=55. 365 is the number of days in the previous year. 18.055 works out to February 24. I have a handy dandy private TSO command to translate 18.055 to a date regular folks readily understand.

For what it's worth, when a password "times out," it can be used once, when you are required to enter a replacement password.

Personally, I have never understood IBM's fixation on day of year. Sometimes it's sort of useful, like here, but most of the time, I think it's useless. Most of the time I translate it to something more useful, like 24FEB2018 or even 24FEB18, which isn't perfect (is it February 24 2018 or February 18 2024?) but uses less space.
steve-myers

Return to Dezhi systems: Mainframe